How to Choose A Qualified HVAC Contractor
This checklist should help you choose the right contractor – never be embarrassed to ask these questions when you shop around and compare.
Company Profile & Track Record
- Is the contractor/company a registered business entity with a proper business license?
- How long has the contractor been in business?
- Is the "salesperson" a licensed tradesperson or just a salesperson?
- Does the contractor have clearly identified trucks?
- Does the contractor have an active web site?
- Are technicians and installers licensed or registered with the trades? This is required by law.
- Is the contractor/company local, national or international?
- Does the contractor have 24 hour service?
- Is the contractor authorized to sell and service the equipment brand?
- Do you need a lawyer to read the contract or is it easy to understand? Is the contractor willing to fully explain the details of the contract
Protection & Legal Questions
- Are quotes detailed and signed on official company letterhead?
- Are installers and repair technicians trained, licensed and insured?
- Have installation and repair technicians undergone a complete background check?
- Will parts of the project be sub-contracted and are all sub-contractors trained, licensed and insured?
- Are technicians' product training up to date?
- Does the contractor have workman's compensation coverage?
- How much liability insurance does the contractor have?
- Is the contractor fully insured, licensed and up to date with all certifications? If it's a commercial installation, is the contractor bondable?
- Is the contractor willing to provide you the copies of the credentials if requested?
- What are the terms within the cancellation clause?
Warranties & Service Agreements
- What are the manufacturer and contractor warranties?
- Will the contractor complete all the warranty paperwork on your behalf?
- Are warranties transferrable?
- Does the contractor offer any extended service and preventative maintenance plans?
If you have more detailed questions or questions specifically about your home comfort system, please feel free to e-mail these questions to us. We will do our best to answer them for you as quickly as possible.